Tuesday, February 7, 2012

You had me at Mambo!

Mambo, mambo, mambo, poa, poa, poa are words I hear around me quite frequently. And if you're really serious...poa kichizi kama ndizi! (Mambo is a casual greeting that pretty much means how's everything, poa is cool and poa kichizi...is cool like a crazy banana!)

While my class only greets me with good morning teacher, this is the greeting I hear and use the most often. This is what I say to my fellow volunteers when we get up in the morning. This is how I greet the little kids in the street who wave and are fascinated my the mzungu (white person.) We greet the staff, our fellow placement teachers and most of the townspeople with Mambo.

The past weekend, when we went on our Safari, our chef David had a shirt that said: You had me at mambo and our group decided we all wanted one. We often thought David was cooking for a group of 15 rather than 6 but we somehow managed to finish most dishes (cocunut rice, pumpkin soup, several vegetable salads--just to name a few)

Today we our skipping our placements and going on a cultural learning tour. We are going to be hiking around and in the Chagga caves and to the Kilasiya Water Falls. After the water fall, we visiting the Chagga Market, a traditional Chagga house and the Chagga live museum. Previous volunteers who have already gone said it will be incredible.

I'm sorry I haven't posted any pictures yet, the connection is slow and they are hard to upload but I am going to try again before leaving for Zanzibar this weekend.

Just an FYI for some of you-- I am doing a ten week program in Tanzania with Cross Cultural Solutions. It's a really cool organization that strives to give you a unique cultural experience while you are also serving the community in some way. (It's the same group that Brittany went to Costa Rica with.)

Well, the bell is ringing so I must be off but I will post more after this weekend!

Kwaheri!

No comments:

Post a Comment